April 14, 2011

Things I Have Learned...

While being aboard there that been a few key rules I have learned from the Italians....
  • one is not to drink a cappuccino after 10 am (in the old days they use ot have their milk delivered everyday to them and it was thought that the milk was spoiled after 10 because of the lack of refrigerators. Also they believe that milk slow digestion crazzzzzies. If you want a coffee pick me up its always an espresso)
  • there is no such thing as spaghetti and meatballs. No meat is served in pasta dishes unless the meat is cooked into the sauce, i.e. bolognese or meat sauce. (please dont ask to add sausage or meatballs thing just tend to get embarrassing....ps first meal here I did that and i got not only my pasta dish but litteraly about 15 meatballs on a plate seperate....yeah awkward)
  • wine is to NOT be drank after dinner....no no no no if you go out for a drink after dinner it is a cocktail or beer order a glass of wine and you will scream american.
  • yes they serve you bread everywhere here and immedaitly after being seated, but you are not to eat it until your meal comes. No olive oil and vinegar, no butter, hey the bread isnt even salted so it really doesnt taste good on its own. If they believe you are an American sometimes they will bring you plates and the oil and vinegar, but we have learned to just wait come on its not that hard.
  • italians dress for the season NOT the weather....this has been a hard one for me to grasp lately as I trek around in shorts because of the 70 degree weather and italians and still in parcas, scarfs, and boots (i know they are miserable and pouring sweat under all those layers)
  • shorts are a big no no. Way to scandulous for the people here. Wear at your own risk, im telling you get ready for digusted looks and stares, great way to find a boyfriend though.
  • sandals automatically mean americans....sandals are only to be woren at the beach or by water.
  • tipping is non-existent here, no one does it so save your money for that gelato (ps you know whats great about this rule, you are allowed to sit for as long as you want without ever feeling like you are being rushed out)
  • italian men think that any girl that walks by them is theirs....probably for me one of the hardest things to adjust to. Walking up and down my street, not to mention its 9am and im going to class, I get the "ciao bella", "oh my so beautiful", "would you like to come home with me", "ciao shakira" (ok beans gets this more often than me hahaha) and soo many more lines that I feel would be inappropirate for my blog.
  • At restaurants (usually smaller ones) you are expected to calculate your own bill and ljust leave the money. Let me tell you if you dont look at the prices before ordering this can be a difficult one.
  • everyone knows that you NEVER get the mounded gelato...rookie move
  • driving rules: HA there arent any....if your car fits you can drive down and "road" you want and stop signs they should be renamed to suggestion signs.
As of right now this is all i can think about but there are much more so this post might be seeing a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment