April 26, 2011

Italian Stallions










Last weekend Christine, Cassie (my roommate) and her cousin who was in town for the weekend decided to take a vespa tour through Tuscany! This tour came highly recommended; one girl even saying it was the best thing she did while in Florence. I thought I can’t leave Italy without being on a vespa since they are basically the main type of transportation here. We met Saturday morning and took a 40-minute drive to the countryside. I have to say I am going to be the happiest person when I NEVER have to get in a car with an Italian driver again. I thought I was a horrible driver these people literally I would say have never really been taught how to drive or the rules of a road. Half the time we are driving in all three lanes, it is truly a talent. Anyways we arrived safe at our destination. It was basically a huge ranch because the company also offers a horse back riding tour! After getting fitted for our helmets we head up the hill to pick out our vespa. As I walked up to the vespas I sized each up to see which one was going to be the fastest and that would be mine! I obviously chose this black one with racer strips (kinda) that was in mint condition…..or so I thought. I later realized that it had about 30,000 miles on it and was a tank (lets just say going up hills I got passed be EVERYONE! Ugh that did not fly for me…maybe this could also be attributed to my recent expansion from Italian cuisine??)

We pulled out onto the open road and even those who were lets just say less experienced with two wheeled motor vehicles made it out alive!! I had one almost accident when I turned back to see friends and almost fell into the ditch AHHHHH soo scary. Although I made it out alive I cant say that all others were so lucky. Our little friend Christine had well she would refer to the incident as a sort of “tipping”. Someone forgot to put their feet on the ground when they came to a stop….rookie mistake (I wish I could say that this occurred in the beginning half of the trip but no not the case ahahah). A couple other people fell in the off-roading section but nothing too major.

Now I have failed to mention that this is a vespa and wine tasting tour. At first I was a little hesitant to see how wine tasting and vespa riding were going to work together, but I would say for our sake luckily the first place we were going to wine taste at was closed so we ended up having to wait till the end to do so. (mom and dad will be happy to here) After arriving back at the ranch we got into the vans and headed to this little castle on top of the Tuscan hills where we had lunch. Soo yummy we got gnocchi and an alfredo pepper pasta. After lunch we were on to wine tasting! The guy who was working was great and taught us tons about his families vineyard and wines. Overall this was definitely one of my favorite days in Italy!! I loved our guides, of course they were young and cute, and the people we had on our trip were awesome and fun to get to know! I would tell anyone who comes to Florence that this tour is a MUST!! (side note about Italy and their customs…no contracts or papers were signed releasing the company of liability…heck they didn’t even check if I had a valid drivers license…..ohhhhh Italy!)


PS the Younger guy in the wine tasting picutres is our guide and the older one is the guy who owned the vineyard and shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment